Information on new 4/8 shift schedule (Four Eight)
The 4/8 shift schedule is a new variation of the 48/96 schedule. It offers all of the same benefits as 48/96, but offers an 8 day off every 24 days.
- Rotation is OO XX OO XXXX OO XX OO XXXX XXXX (O = On, X = OFF)
- 24 Day FLSA period.
- Operational period remains 24 hours 0800-0800.
- Sick leave, Vacation, Holiday, and benefit days are still 24 hour increments.
- Recall or Force days are still 24 hours.
Current Departments on the 4/8
San Bernardino County Fire Protection District
Barstow Fire Protection District
Several departments are currently researching changing to the 4/8.
Advantages of 4/8
- Reduction of commute times and increased fuel savings as compared to one day on shift schedules.
- Reduction of long term fatigue. Personnel see better recovery with an 8 day period.
- Better balance of work and personal lives.
- Higher productivity on shift. More time to complete projects and reduction of duplicated tasks.
SBCOFD 1 Year Comparison Stats
- Total voluntary overtime increased 90% and force hires/forced recalls/forced overtime dropped 28.5%.
- Sick leave usage dropped 25%.
- Emergency recalls for large incidents dropped from 5 unmanned stations in the first 24 to 1.8 unmanned stations.
- Emergency recall force hours for the first 96 hours dropped from an average of 4359 hours to 1780 hours.
- SBCOFD was on the 4/6 work schedule with one division on 48/96. It was proposed to evaluate a single alternative schedule to the 4/6.
- 11/2017 First vote narrowed the alternate schedule down between 4/8 and 48/96. 4/8 won with 77% (4/8 - 328, 48/96 - 100)
- 12/2017 Second vote was between alternate schedule and the then current 4/6. 4/8 won with 75% (4/8 - 327, 4/6 - 109)
- 03/2018 Started working the 4/8 schedule.
- 08/2018 Trial vote was moved up from one year to about month 6. Admin felt we had been on it long enough to make a decision.
- 4/8 won with 89% (4/8 - 408, 4/6 - 53)
- 48 professionally staffed stations
- 650 suppression personnel
- 1,000,000 population served
- Covering 19,293 square miles
- 149,000 annual incidents
- Busiest unit runs 25-30 per day
Maximizing Vacation/Holiday Use
- One Vacation/Holiday - 9 days off
- Two Vacation/Holiday - 12 days off
- Four Vacation/Holiday - 18 days off
- Six Vacation/Holiday - 22 days off
- Eight Vacation/Holiday - 32 days off
- 4/8 Work Schedule Evaluation
- Driving Distance Savings (Green Energy Savings) I have this available in an excel doc. Email me if you want a copy.
- Comparison Stats
- Sample 2019 Calendar